Sunday, November 29, 2015

FINISHED PROJECTS

Here are some of my recently completed freight car projects...
Since I model the contemporary scene, I (unfortunately) need to add graffiti to some of my cars. After getting in some new graffiti decals, I added them to this Walthers autorack, after seeing this in real life. And now, you know why these cars are now fully enclosed; to protect the vehicles from more than just the weather!
After years of sitting in storage, I finally assembled and painted these two Walthers Ortner hoppers. And since they were completed long after the other cars, plus the Testors Africa Mustard paint now has a slightly different hue than before, I gave them an updated look.
Both cars now have painted wheel sets and conspicuity striping along the bottom, as well as the large APW across the top. The latter is slowly being added to the older cars.
In addition, the cars also feature the unique Operation Lifesaver graphic on the left, as well as the new corporate logo in the upper right corner. I have thought about getting some more of these cars, but;
1. Walthers no longer offers the undecorated kits.
2. 40 holes have to be drilled for the installation of grab irons -which are not included!
Lastly, I finished this Atlas PS-2 hopper in MOW service. It, too, has conspicuity striping -the yellow contrasts nicely with the orange car- and the corporate logo at the top; this time centered on the car body. This car will be in company sand transport service. Note that it still has the original friction-bearing trucks -no interchange for this car!

No comments: